Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Being in the moment


There are a few things that irritate me about facebook, but one thing that I always roll my eyes at is when I see someone post this or something similar to this: "Is it Friday yet?"  or "Sigh....can not wait for this week to be over!". I'm guilty of this attitude occasionally, but I've tried to purposefully train my mind not to think this way anymore. What a waste! I feel like people consciously run out the clock each day, and miss the opportunity to be "present" with the countless opportunites to make a difference and do something significant with their lives or for others.

We should be living each day with fullness and zeal, making the most of every opportunity we have been given. Being present. Proactively seeking and seaching for purpose for each day.  I look back now and (this is so cliche) the days seem to be going faster and faster and faster. There are days when I'm lying in bed at night and  I have "buyers remorse" when I look back and think: "what did i do today?"  I've been convicted about using every hour given to me as an investment. What am I doing with each hour? How am I using it? Am I being a good steward of the time that work has given me to accomplish my tasks?  For myself, am I treating my body like a temple of God or am I being lazy and unproductive? Getting up earlier to work out and run has helped me feel more productive. For people in my life, did I send a note, or a text or call someone to encourage them today?Am I making a difference in someone else's life with this time or am I mind-numbingly wasting it away through mundane tv shows or even sometimes, hanging out with the wrong people? To clarify, when I mean wrong people, I'm not just talking about the "wrong crowd". I talking about people who don't build you up and make you a better person. Sadly, these can many times be believers who lull us into a pool of mediocrity. Its time to change that.

Another struggle I have had over the years is looking back too much on the past and yearning for those "better" days. That's as bad as wishing the weekend was here now or the day was just over. I miss opportunities for what God wants to do at this current time when I think this way. Isaiah 43:18-19 says to "forget the former things- do not dwell on the past (whether good or bad), for I am doing a new thing. Now it springs up, do you not perceive it?" Anyone who knows me well knows this is an area I have needed to work on.

The charge to myself is that we take our uncertain amout of days given to us and treat each like a Christmas gift.  Each day is Christmas morning. We get to unwrap it, enjoy it, and hopefully be fulfilled by it.

Make it a great day!

Jeff

3 comments:

Lindsey Claire said...

Our personalities are so similar - this is a great challenge for me too. To remember that God is doing something new and blessing me in new ways every day... and to be fully present for it, not numbing out or keeping part of my heart stuck in the past. Good post - very encouraging!
YOU make it a great day as well!! :)

Kevin Gauger said...

Good blog post Jeff. I find myself harping back on the "Good Ol' Days" far too much and very often times miss out on the here and now, and the potential that each day brings. It almost sounds cliche to talk about needing to be intentional with our time, maybe because we hear it preached so much, but it's very true. The days where I work out, watch what I eat, be over-and-above kind to strangers, and help others are the days that I feel most purposeful in life, not to mention fulfilled. Well done sir!

Kim said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again - I love to hear your heart. Thank you for being so transparent. It is so powerful.