Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ignorance truly is bliss!

Hello friends. This week I deactivated my facebook account for a temporary hiatus. I must say that its been ultimately refreshing. Day 1 I found myself typing in facebook.com in the car when I'd come to a red light then catch myself when it asked for a password. Day 2, I thought about it less. I did a FB break a couple of years ago and it was great. I find myself, at my own fault, becoming envious, coveting, annoyed, or any other adjective you want to insert for basically playing the compare game with other people. Most of the time not anyone's issue but mine. And sometimes, you have put up guardrails against things that wear at your soul. So, I'm almost 3 days into this and I feel great! I'm choosing to spend the countless wasteful time I would spend on FB on more productive things, like praying for others. Instead of browsing on my phone at lunch, I'm trying to spend more time in the Word. A couple of guys and I are reading John 6-7 this week, so I've been trying to meditate on those scriptures more and more. Its seemed a little more distant without social media, but I think the benefits of a break far outweigh the negatives. A friend joined me in the hiatus after I told him about it, so its nice to have some accountability of not looking at it again until Jan 1 (the goal that was set).

Side note- I've been so blessed to get some texts this week with scripture that really has lifted my soul- full of encouragement.  Caleb and K- thank you! God gives us just what we need at just the right time.

Finally, Baylor is playing OU in football tomorrow night. I'm really hoping for a victory. I have some friends coming over to watch the game and enjoy some Aspen Diner sandwiches, so it should be an entertaining, laid back evening.

Make it a great Baylor day!

Jeff

2 comments:

Lindsey Claire said...

I miss you and Chet on FB, but I do like this idea and I'm glad it's already helping! I love this sentence: "And sometimes, you have put up guardrails against things that wear at your soul."

I'm excited to hear you sing the fight song tonight! lol Happy Baylor Day! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Jeff, Hated to see you leave Facebook for a time; that is how I keep up with you! Happy that Baylor won last night!