Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Side trip

"Wanna get away?" I love those Snickers commercials from a couple of years ago, especially one where a guy painting "Chiefs" in the end zone realized he wrote "Chefs" instead. I used to not mind at all being alone. In fact, I was overly independent and didn't need to be around people all the time. Maybe I was just fooling myself into believing that. Over the past couple of years, I have loved being around people, and feel like God has blessed me with some incredible friends in Tulsa, as well as maintaining those in Texas. There are times, however, when I feel like I need to escape from the daily grind and spend some time alone. Its a refuge to get away from the stress and frustrations as well as to listen to how God wants to speak to me. Most times, I head west. I think its the idea of open praries, rugged terrains, and adventure. Recently on a trip back from Enid, I decided to be random and exit Highway 9, which goes north right by Lake Keystone into Osage County. After driving through Cleveland, I took some roads with a point to get somewhat lost. I drove past several miles hilly terrain and it quickly felt like I was all alone in the Oklahoma wilderness. I turned off again to a windy road and parked the car. We had been blessed with some very mild late January weather, and it was sunny and in the 60s. I stayed out there for about an hour praying, thinking, and just letting God speak to me. Its sometimes difficult for me to focus when I'm in my comfort zone of home and familiarity. Being away from it all, though only 31 miles from Tulsa, let me recharge my batteries and just relax and renew in the midst of the Father's creation. I should remember to take some time every once in a while to be proactive in being alone- a retreat to learn, grow and listen to how the Father wants to direct and speak to me.

1 comment:

Kim said...

That sounds wonderful. Stay away from crazies though. I don't want you to wonder into escaped criminals or anything...