Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Verses

When I was in East Asia on our mission trip in April , one of our five teammates, David, was such an inspiration to me.  David went to Oklahoma State and carried a 6.5 foot cross around with him at all times. He preached outside the student union almost daily during lunch, and has surrerended his life to become a medical missionary after he graduates from medical school. What I found most inspiring was that he was in the midst of memorizing whole books of the Bible. He knew many of Paul's letters word for word. He asked me to test him a couple of times on our trip (I think it was 1 John). I was amazed at how it was "written on his heart". David was an example to me, and I returned home convicted about my sad state of scripture memory. Being able to reference God's word in conversations, or knowing where to turn to is critical.

I've challenged myself and a new friend of mine to learning one Bible verse a week. We are on the 3rd week, and I am really excited to see how many we can memorize. Each time, we test each other on the current week's verse, as well as every verse learned previously so that it sticks in our long term memory. I was in Bible Drill as a youth in Irving, and to this day, many of those verses are still with me. Luke 2:52, Malachi 3:10, Hebrews 12:1, etc.  I've really became lazy in my 20's with scripture memory, and especially being able to reference where a familiar verse was in the Bible. Satan is always on the attack in our lives, and to be able to recite the word of God to combat him in these tempting/challenging times has helped me.

 This weeks verse is "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things". -Colossians 3:2.  Simple verse  but hard to make that choice daily.

Make it a great Day!

Jeff

1 comment:

LINDSEY CLAIRE said...

Great verse for the week!!

Also, I love your "Make it a great day" sign-off! :)