Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Shades of Brown


I live about 1 block from this incredibly cool coffee shop called Shades of Brown in the Brookside area of Tulsa (pictures to follow). It reminds me alot of Common Grounds from my Baylor years. Very eclectic- they often have live music on the weekends. I love walking to it about 4 times a week. Its been really nice weather wise for the past month, and its become a routine of mine to workout, go home, and later in the night go to Shades of Brown for a vanilla latte. Its served in a big homeade ceramic mug (see left). On top of the latte, the barista always makes the most interesting designs in the foam, like a leaf or other unique things. I love these local coffee places so much better than Starbucks. Ironically, I walk past the local Starbucks each time I go.

The place is so warm and inviting. It also seems to be a refuge for hippie children and college students home for the summer. People are usually smoking pipes/cigars out front. It also has the coolest artwork that they put out each month on the walls by local artists. There is also a cool community board that offers all sorts of classes and events. The only thing that makes me feel out of place is that I am not using a Mac, just a regular black thinkpad.

By the way, I've decided that I love living close to everything I need. In Grapevine, it took about 20 minutes to go to the grocery, church, work, etc. Now, I am about a 5 minute walk from just about anything. I have a Wild Oats grocery, Quick Trip, tons of places to eat, and the fitness center all within a very easy walk.

No comments: