Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Windy City- June 5-6

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Chicago for a few days for my job. I hadn't been there in 10 years, and really had never seen much of it. A couple of things I observed...



1) Chicago rush hour traffic makes Dallas traffic feel like a breeze. It took me an hour and a half to get from O'Hare to downtown. I now understand why so many people were walking downtown and don't even own a car. They take the train everywhere. Next time, i will ditch the car. It again made me thankful I work from my house most of the time in Tulsa and don't have to sit in traffic half my life. So much less stress!


2) Another thing I determined...if I were to move to Chicago, I would live in the Old Lincoln Park area. For those who have seen "Return to Me", its the same neighborhood they filmed the movie. Lots of huge trees and long streets of brownstones with lots of character. I've heard prices start at a very affordable $1.5 mil. I walked down Sedgwick St. and saw in some of these cool homes. They are like 3 or 4 stories tall, and reminded me of the Cosby home. Anyway, I actually ate dinner at the Twin Anchors Restaurant in that area. It was featured as the Italian-Irish restaurant in "Return to Me."




As soon as I walked in, I recognized it from the movie. There was the bar, and I even saw the booth where the "water lady" annoyed David Duchovny. The place is so famous- Frank Sinatra came a ton in the 40's, and Conan O'Brien had just visited a few weeks before I came. The bartender was really nice, and told me about the tons of celebrities who frequent the place, as well as showed me the pic of him and Conan.
It was a really fun, albeit short trip. I want to make it back to Chicago and spend more time in this historic city.

No comments: