Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Downgraded to coach!




I'll admit it. I'm an airline snob. Over the past two years, I've been a member of American Airlines Executive Platinum status for the traveling I did with them 2007 to present. The lure of arguably the best marketing program in business (AAdvantage) made be 100% loyal to American Airlines. I would avoid Southwest Airlines like the plague. After reaching 100 flights in a year, I was bumped to ExecPlat in 2008 and got to sit in first class every time I flew. It was awesome! I saw and sat next to some famous people. I loved the great breakfasts, sitting in a big leather chair, and getting drinks in an actual glass. Sometimes the attendant would address me by "Mr. Moss". Is it wrong to say I'd secretly laugh as I saw the masses walking past me in first class to their cattle car in coach? Flying to Europe in a seat that folded out to a bed, not to mention the incredible food, was an experience in itself. I also enjoyed getting to upgrade friends who traveled with me, or give upgrades to my friends who got married (Kim and Brett). I became obsessed with checking my miles to see when I had my next free flight. Well, I had a rude awakening yesterday. In 2009, I flew 92 times- 8 short of the cutoff for ExecPlat. I've officially been downgraded to Platinum, and what a difference it is! I went to check in yesterday, and when I looked at the ticket that printed out, it said 21F. Back of the plane! As I walked past the people in first class, I was thinking "Are they looking at me like I'm some commoner going back to the sardine can?" I enjoyed my coke in a plastic cup, not a nice crystal glass. And no gourmet nuts as a snack. I think I have a new goal this year of getting back to my ExecPlat status. Its amazing how a marketing program can change behavior. I was trying to figure out the fastest way I can get back to status- 10 trips to Frankfurt equals 100,000 miles. Or maybe 25 round trips to Austin.....I say all this tongue-in-cheek and really halfway kidding on all of this... I'm not that devastated. I've been able to see some incredible places over the last few years. Only this year, I'll be doing it from the back of the plane.

3 comments:

The Suz Muse said...

Hmm...sounds humbling...

Kim said...

Ugh! That stinks! After getting used to first class, that must really be annoying. If you're still going to be traveling a lot next year, I hope you travel enough this year to be upgraded again!

Anonymous said...

Jeff!!! Oh my gosh, you have a great blog!!!! What makes you even more awesome is that you are on the AA bandwagon too! :) It makes me so sad & almost like I'm cheating on AA when I have to fly Southwest. Ha! Happy flying!