Sunday, February 21, 2010

Gratitude

I think in our culture today, and specifically my generation, its really easy to lose a sense of gratitude for what we have and are given. Its really become such a "me first", self-absorbed society. I'm guilty of it. I'm sure there are times when I haven't expressed gratitude for things others have done for me. My mom and dad always went above and beyond in providing for me. I'm sure there are times when I've neglected to express appreciation. My grandparents always send me money on all the major holidays. I forgot to call my grandma and grandpa to say thank you for the Valentines' card. Grandma, if you are reading this, I owe you a call!

Two words go a long way: "thank you". Whether its a meal or coffee, or just when someone goes out of their way to reach out and do something for you, appreciation is a conscious acknowledgment of others' sacrifice. I am not always perfect, but strive to be thankful. I think a lack of gratitude, or a sense of entitlement, is one of the biggest turnoffs. When I see this attitude in potential girls I'm interested in, or just friends in general, I high-tail it for the hills. I just don't like being around people who don't appreciate others. Its pretty much an indication of how they think- "Me first, others second".

The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, my favorite musical group in the world, did a song called "Thanks". Its lyrics are simple- "Thanks, thanks; I give you thanks, for all You've done. I am so blessed, my soul has found rest, oh Lord, I give you thanks." Its a simple chorus, but a reminder just to be thankful. Gratitude is not a fruit of the spirit, but I think it could fit under peace, joy, or goodness. We should be living everyday thankful for the gift of salvation that comes through Jesus. The appreciation of his sacrificial death for us should be reflected on daily, and seen in our lives- towards Christ as well as those God has placed us with in our lives.

I couldn't find the Brooklyn Tab version, but here's a clip from the Gaither's doing "Thanks". Its a great clip below....have a great week, and THANKS for reading!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8cdWynAK0

2 comments:

Denise Lauren said...

Jeff -- you're welcome! I'm really enjoying reading your blog and finding out what you're up to. Have a great day!

G'Ma said...

You are welcome Jeff. Enjoyed your latest entries! xxx G'Ma