Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cademon's Call- Reflections




Its amazing how music and transform you to a particular moment in your life. I'm listening to come Caedmon's Call right now. Why? Their "Forty Acres" CD was really popular back when I first started at Baylor 11 years ago in the fall of 1999. I was thinking about my sister starting her last year at Baylor tomorrow, it made me think back to my time there. I can't believe it was 11 years ago. Sometimes I wish I could go back to those college days. I remember like yesterday moving into Martin Hall Room 119 in the Dungeon. It was actually below ground with our windows at the top of the room level with the ground. I had a great roommate, Brett Gibson, who is now in the ministry serving in Waco. It was really hot on move in day, and remember being greeted in the parking lot by upperclassmen who helped unload the car. I met some great people those first few days. The first girl I met at Baylor was Belinda Petri, who I became close friends with, and ironically, we both live in Tulsa now. I met her the first night at our min-con group introductions. We did a ton of stuff together that week, including going to the Caedmon's Call concert the last night. Her good friends ended up being a couple of my roommates my sophomore year. Belinda and I ended up being welcome week co-leaders our junior year. I experienced a lot of football that first semester as well. I went up to Boston College with Ruthie to see the Bears lose in overtime in my first collegiate game as a student. I remember the UNLV football game with the Baylor Line. We had the game won, and lost in a last second fumble. It was a painful sports year.


I grew a lot from my experiences during first year at Baylor. I was really sad to pack it up for the summer. Looking back however, each following school year after got better and better. I was fortunate to be surrounded by some truly incredible people and friends. And even today, as I look back on Baylor, I'm learning slowly but grudingly that God continues to provide for me each year after college with friends, church, and experiences that build upon the past, not making me yearn as much for it, though its hard. So, I'll finish the CD jamming to favs such as "There you go", "Thankful" and "Shifting Sand" and reflect on the great moments of my new chapter of life at Baylor and the new pages I get to write daily even now.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is, without a doubt, the best Caedmon's album and has always resonated so much with me! The only thing you forgot to mention from your freshman year at Baylor was that you came home for IHS Homecoming and took me to the dance, a pathetic senior who couldn't get a date. :) You're the best, Jeff Moss!

Kim said...

This is my favorite CC album too =-)

I think it's something about the fall. We're not there yet, but it's getting close, and the fall always makes me sentimental. Almost lonely. I have been thinking about OBU a lot, and also, randomly, singing lots of Jamie and Jennifer songs! I really like some of their jams!

Miss you!