Saturday, August 7, 2010

Seasons of Friends

Friendships change. This week I spoke with a longtime friend who I hadn't spoken to in quite a while. It was just different....hard to talk to, and the conversation went dead really fast. Usually, I'm pretty good with keeping a conversation flowing, as I work with customers all the time and have to keep some talking points in my head that I can always turn to in case lunch gets "weird". This time though, we had little to talk about. Kind of sad....there just wasn't a lot we still had in common. But, I've come to the realization that some friendships are just for a season, as hard as that is for me to say. In this case, I had this mindset that we'd be close friends forever, and that our kids would be friends, our families live by each other,and go to Baylor sporting events, etc. That is not how it works in life apparently, as much as I want it to. However, there are some of those cherished friends that I can pick up the phone and it feels like we haven't skipped a beat. I heard from my old roommate a couple of days ago and it was like we were still in Baylor mode even though I hadn't talked to him in over 6 months. I have some high school friends that I saw at a wedding a couple of weeks ago, and it was like being back at good old Irving High. I really hope the friends I have made in Tulsa can be these lifelong friends. One pattern I've noticed is that when you have a bond through Christ, its easier to stay connected. Life can be tough, lonely, and always changing, but its nice to know of the friends that God places in your life for a specific time period, as well as those life long friends who you will grow old with.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Your post reminds me of a poem I once wrote...

Friends?
by Krista

From the first moment you extended your hand to me, I've wondered what kind of friend you will be.

Maybe just an acquaintance, someone who might happen to recognize me on the street.

Maybe the casual friend who meets me irregularly for dinner and occasionally drops me an email to say "hi."

What about that friend who is so close, so deeply involved in my life that I can't imagine a life apart, until six months later that time comes. You could be that person.

Or you could be, just possibly, an eternal friend, one who loves me endlessly, who despite the time and distance is an intricate part of me.

Only in retrospect will I know who you are. As for now, I see the possibilities in your eyes. And I know that you are important, no matter what your role in my life. For this time, I'm glad to know you.